I wish I had asked more questions to my roommate before we had moved in. Let’s be real here, no one likes admitting that they are a clean freak or extremely messy, but in my experience, its better to be honest BEFORE you move in rather than having to go through the process of finding a new roomie or moving into a new room in the middle of the semester. My rooming situation did NOT turn out how I thought it was going to, it was quite awful, not even so much because of the people, but because of the process of it all.
My main advice for your roommate search is, be as honest to them as you would hope they would be to you.
Here are some must ask questions for your potential roomie!
- How do you keep the room?
- Would you consider yourself to be more messy or neat?
- How often do you plan to have people spend the night?
- Do you have a boyfriend? Does he go here or another school? If he goes to another school, do you plan to go see him more or does he plan to come see you more? How often will he be in here/ spend the night?
- Are you religious? If so, what religion?
- Are you joining a sorority?
- How often do you go out?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- Are you taking 8 am or 9 am classes? (try to find someone who’s schedule is similar to yours)
- How often do you shower? (yes, I’m serious)
- Do you have any specific things that you care if I do or don’t do?
- How often do you plan to clean/ do laundry?
- How often do you plan to go home?
- Ask about what they plan on bringing, one person bring a rug, the other the mirror, etc.
- Did any of your friends come to school here with you? (will they be in your room all the time?
- What is your typical day routine?
- Do you care if I…. ex. smoke, have my boyfriend over, am never here.. etc.
- Do you care if I borrow stuff/ if we share stuff to save space.. ex. laundry detergent, drinks in fridge, cleaning supplies?
- Do you want to coordinate colors for our room, if so what colors, if not, what stuff are you bringing?
- Is there anything specific I need to know about you before living with you? Ex. Your quirks, are you an introvert or extrovert, do you have a job, like alone time, etc.
I hope all of these helped, I know that they would’ve helped me!
xo, Delaney Hogg
ps. send the link to your future roomie and it might make the conversation easier!